12.06.2009

What a Girl Won’t Do for Chocolate

frogThe other day at work, I called this old man from the waiting room. When that room is full, there’s no telling who will stand up to answer my call.

I recognized this old man right away, I had seen him before, and turned to head back to my desk, keeping up my usual jibber-jabber to set a welcoming tone.

I was a bit more rushed than usual, so I set a quick pace, leaving the old man to saunter after me. Half way there, I glanced back to see just how far I left him in my dust and waited for him to catch up to me.

“Hmm, nice!” he says to me with a glint – a perverted glint, I might add – in his eye as he caught up to me.

I whipped right around to face him full, got my finger up in his face and forcefully said, “Watch yourself.”

The office went silent and all heads turned my way. The old man took two steps back, a startled, surprised look on his face.

“W-what? I was just admiring the side-to-side...” he stuttered and snapped his mouth shut fast when my finger went up yet again.

“Now, you behave yourself while you’re in here.” I headed to my desk and sat down, entering in the ID to bring up his file on the computer.

He sat down, and humbly said, “I didn’t mean nothin’. I was just admiring…” A coworker cut him off this time.

“Hey, I thought I was your favorite,” she said to him, playfully, smiling away.

“You are still,” he said.

“What?” said I. “And here you are like a lecherous old man, oggling my butt? I thought I was your favorite.”

“O-oh, you are my favorite!” He was trapped, and he squirmed a bit.

“Just for that, you owe me chocolate, big time,” I said to him, smiling.

“You want chocolate? I’ll go get you some, right after we’re done.”

“No, no, no. I’m just kidding,” and I got down to work. By the time I was done, I had forgotten about the bantering.

Not an hour and a half later, the old man came traipsing into the office with a plastic bag full. He headed to my desk first and pulled out a bag of Hershey’s Kisses. For another girl in the office, it was an apple and a pear. For another, it was an apple and an orange. Topping it all off was a large box of Turtles.

My eyes went wide, my face red, and I said, “You didn’t have to do that! We were all just joking with you!” Once again, the office was hushed and all heads turned my way.

“I know it. I know I didn’t have to do it, but I wanted to. You all are the best!” he said. “I know you’re all busy, so I’ll get out of your hair.” And, just like that, he was gone.

I, well, I was contentedly munching on those Hershey Kisses for the rest of the day. It hit the spot.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, some days are good, aren't they? I'd even take an old guy oggling my butt! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really nice of him. And he was very frank and honest too. :)

    ReplyDelete